Ten things I love about Brisbane:
1. Its nickname, Brisvegas.
2. Coffee. Really good coffee.
3. Shiny happy people, all muscles and tans. Probably something to do with…
4. The weather.
5. Shorts. Necessary both day and night. It is also perfectly acceptable to walk through the city centre wearing nothing else.
6. Sarah Elks. My host and the epitome of a sunny Brisvegan. Sarah’s boyfriend, Mitch, used to be in the commandos and has some great stories. I could repeat them here. but then he’d have to kill you.
7. It’s convenience. Everything I need – the bank, camera shop (for more Polaroid film) and the Papua New Guinea consulate – all on the same street. Speaking of which…
8. Esther Hamer and Consul Hamoka at the consulate. Both sat down with me for a long chat about PNG and both said they will try to put me in touch with people to meet there.
9. The Brisbane Broncos. The Manchester United of rugby league and a standard conversation opener for Aussie blokes everywhere, as in ‘How about those Broncos?’
10. A cold beer, in a cold glass, after a hot day.
I fly to Port Moresby tomorrow, where the journey proper begins…